Do you want your visitors to access material on your website by searching custom fields? By default, WordPress search does not work with custom fields, making it more difficult for your visitors to find what they’re looking for. You may improve your visitors’ user experience by making custom fields searchable. To provide access, you will need to get in touch with the WordPress development Company.
In WordPress, custom fields are a fantastic feature. Further, they let you save any additional information (meta-data) about a post that you might require. Adding the option to search your articles by custom field, on the other hand, is a little tricky. So, in this post, we will how to make custom fields searchable in WordPress.
What Are Custom Fields, and Why Do They Need to Be Searchable?
Custom fields in WordPress allow you to store any kind of extra data about a post or page. WordPress automatically adds metadata to your posts and pages, such as title, author, date, time, and more. You can add extra information about your content to custom fields and show them on your website if you want. To store vital data of many popular WordPress plugins and themes, use custom fields.
For example, the content you provide in WordPress SEO plugins like All in One SEO is technically a custom field, as are custom product attributes add to WooCommerce products.
On the other hand, WordPress does not use custom fields to search your website’s content. When a visitor uses your website’s search bar, WordPress will only display results with titles and content that match their search keywords. Making your custom fields searchable on your WordPress site improves the user experience. It enables your visitors to easily search for any material on your website, allowing them to stay longer on your site and decreasing annoyance.
What are the steps to Make a WordPress Custom Field Searchable?
With the help of the SearchWP plugin, you can make custom fields searchable. It is the best WordPress search plugin since it lets you change the search algorithm without writing the code. So, all the content and featured images of your WordPress site are indexed by the plugin.
It improves WordPress search for your users by using custom fields, PDF documents, text, custom tables, files, categories, shortcodes, and more. To install the plugin, you can hire wordpress developer from a leading WordPress development Company.
You must first install and activate the SearchWP plugin before you can begin indexing your custom fields.
- First of all, you need to activate your SearchWP plugin by heading over to Settings and then navigating to the ‘Engines’ tab.
- Then, to add custom fields to the search algorithm for your posts, pages, and media, click the ‘Add/Remove Attributes’ option.
- A popup window will display when you click the button.
- To make all of your custom fields searchable, go ahead and click the dropdown menu under Custom Fields and select the ‘Any Meta Key’ option.
- Moreover, in the search process, you have an option of defining the specific field if you want.
- Next, click on the Done button once you select the custom fields.
- The search algorithm for posts will now include a custom fields option. The ‘Custom Fields’ part is found under the Applicable Attribute Relevance section.
- Further, the attribute slider is adjusted to set the relevance weight given to each attribute during a search. The same thing is involved in the pages and media assets.
- Also, do not forget to click the Save Engine button after you make these changes.
After following the above steps, you can make your WordPress custom field searchable. Further, it will index your text, PDF metadata, custom field metadata, files, photos, and other sorts of metadata for use in WordPress search. Moreover, you can see how many things the plugin has indexed when you look at the index status.
These steps can helps you in getting your custom field searchable:
Other than that, SearchWP has several customization options. For example, You can add stopwords and synonymst hat are ignore throughout the search process to improve relevancy and performance by going to the ‘Settings’ tab.
The plugin comes with a list of stopwords by default, but you can add more if you like. Similarly, you can add synonyms for search terms that you do not want to include in your results. The plugin will provide you with all the information you want to know what users have searched the most. You can see this by heading over to the Statistic tab.
We hope this article has provided you with all the necessary you are looking for. We have penned down all the vital points that every WordPress development company follows to make the WordPress custom field searchable. So, you can also take the help of a professional agency to make your content searchable.